Twinflower (Linnaea borealis L.)

As we enter the winter months, I like to remember the woodland plants now waiting under the layers of fallen leaves to flower again next spring.

Twin-flower (Linnaea borealis L. var. americana (Forbes) Rehd.) is a low-growing, creeping evergreen, found blooming in late June in wooded swamps, coniferous bogs and clearings.

Each slender stalk bears a set of two delicate, nodding, fragrant flowers, white in color and tinged with pink.  Other names for the plant are pink bells and, in French, linnée boréale.  The specific name is from the Latin borealis, meaning northern.

The European variety was a special favorite of Linnaeus, the founder of the present system of naming flowers.

Twinflower

nodding heads

they cease to ring

and sleep

© Jane Tims  1992

November 12, 2011 at 7:47 am

1. Dear Jane,
    What a beautiful poem! Here in Finland We have a lot of these beautiful flowers.
    I’m doing a school project about twinflower and I would like to ask your permission to add your poem to the project. It will not be published anywhere and it’ll only be used in my school.

Best regards,
    Miina

Liked by 1 person

Miina Savolainen

May 26, 2018 at 9:40 am

• Hi Miina. I would be honoured to have my poem used in this way. Just quote the source. Best wishes in your school endeavors!!!! Glad this flower blooms in your country too! Jane

May 28, 2018 at 3:52 pm

2. I’ve always loved the Scandinavian girl’s name, Linnea, and the delicate and subtle flower found on the bone china pattern… They must be so pretty in the woods, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen them in the wild around New England. I love your drawing and poem.

November 14, 2011 at 2:47 pm

• Hi Barbara. Thanks. The flowers also have a scent as delicate as they look. Jane

November 14, 2011 at 6:29 pm

3. Nice drawing Jane. Your poem blends in well…pink boreal bells

at vespers

in whispers

a whisper

the rule
    Nicely done!
    -Denis

JD

November 12, 2011 at 5:13 pm

• Thanks for the comment. Always, when writing poetry, there are uncertainties. For those lines, it was a question … should I repeat the word ‘whisper’? Jane

November 13, 2011 at 7:30 am

• Of course … the poet makes the rules. Having rules set by others takes away the uncertainties, takes away the romance of poetry.
        -Denis

JD

November 13, 2011 at 8:55 am

• Hi Denis. I think you are right… the poem is more organic than a set of rules, for sure. I have to remember this…Jane

November 13, 2011 at 7:00 pm

4. It’s always a pleasant anticipation when in February one starts looking for the early wildflowers to peek up from the snow!

November 12, 2011 at 4:34 pm

• Hi. Right now, spring seems so far away. I think my thinking about wildflowers is the same as getting out the seed catalogues in early spring! Jane

November 12, 2011 at 4:51 pm

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )