autumn along the brook

Behind our house, in the grey woods, is a narrow little brook.  It is not much to look at but I like its simplicity.  This brook has steep sides (a cross-section like a ‘U’) and grassy banks, and it creates charming little riffles over fallen logs.  Until this moment, I have never realised … we have not given this brook a name!

I walked to the brook last Monday evening, to see how high the water was and to look for signs of the changing season.

Autumn is showing its color everywhere.  Some of the ferns have turned yellow with the first frost…

There are fallen red maple leaves on the trail and in the brook…

And the berries of Bunchberry (Cornus canadensis L.) are brilliant red…

‘red berries’

end of summer

on the path along the brook

one leaf bleeds into water

in town the walks are stony

chaff of linden, seeds

dry ditches overflow with flowers

I shrug

(no matter

summer is ended)

yellow rattle

pods and grasses

rehearse an incantation

wind sulks in corners of the shed

warmth and sun

paint the orange of pumpkins

knit winter mittens

I gather signs of autumn

asters, windfalls, flocks of red wings

frantic in the alders

acorns, hollow galls from oak

Orion peeks above the trees

time forgotten, found

and summer with rain never ends

I ask for rain

(arms loaded with everlasting)

© Jane Tims 2010

'oak leaves and acorns'

September 19, 2011 at 7:57 am

1. Another excellent poem Jane. Especially like the verse I gather signs of autumn

asters, windfalls, flocks of red wings

frantic in the alders

acorns, hollow galls from oak”

Well done. Also the drawings are great! Keep it up.

-Denis

JD

September 21, 2011 at 9:02 am

2. What a great verse- it captures the season well 🙂

September 19, 2011 at 7:39 pm

• Hi. Glad you like it. I am on my way to see your new post on the changing seasons. Jane

September 19, 2011 at 11:00 pm

3. “one leaf bleeds into water…” This line evokes so much, Jane. I clicked on your name at Rosie’s, and I am happy I did. Sometimes, we do the best things without much thought and expectation.

Priya

September 19, 2011 at 1:15 pm

• Hi Priya. Welcome and I hope you return often! I’lll go over and look at your site. Jane

September 19, 2011 at 10:41 pm

4. Lovely, mood-setting poem, and I love your drawing! Your autumn comes a little sooner than ours – we haven’t had frost yet and everything is still pretty lush and green… But the days are shorter, and when I wake up I get to see the sunrise..

September 19, 2011 at 12:24 pm

• Hi Barbara. Our autumn is coming on faster than usual, especially in low-lying areas and along the river. We have had such a wet year, I think the trees are very stressed since their roots have not been able to recover from the wet. Lots of color for us, but hard on the trees. Jane

September 19, 2011 at 10:36 pm

5. I really liked this poem especially the imagery of the dry seed pods, frantic red wings and sulking wind. The drawing was nice too. Did you name the brook yet?

cp

September 19, 2011 at 9:54 am

• Hi cp. My husband and I talked it over and decided that it is Fern Haven Brook. The first time I ever saw the brook, we were wading through a ‘field’ of fern and found the brook flowing through it. Now I have to identify the fern! Thanks for your comments on my poem. Comments are very helpful. jane

September 19, 2011 at 10:34 pm