songs in the grey woods – black-throated green

Our grey woods are noisy this week. White-throated sparrows, nuthatches, ovenbirds and chickadees. Loudest of all is a black-throated green warbler. He says, in his raspy voice, at intervals of about ten seconds: zee-zee-zee-zee- whee-zee, also a more musical dee-dee, dee-dee, doo-dee (the doo a note lower than the dee). He perches near the tops of the tamarack and red maple trees.

May 14, 2016 'black-throated green warbler in tamarack' Jane Tims

I sat on our deck a long while, and finally caught him as he paused in a red maple. He had a bright yellow head and looked back at me over his white wing stripe before he flew away. I also get an occasional glimpse of him as he flies from tree to tree. His best features are his yellow head, the two white stripes on each wing, and his black throat.

May 19, 2016 'black-throated green in leafing maple' Jane Tims

IMG_4268

a view of the tamarack trees and spruce where the black-throated green warbler is singing – the red maple is just starting to leaf-out

Copyright Jane Tims 2016

May 20, 2016 at 7:00 am

1. The drawings are lovely. They wonderfully capture the beauty and gracefulness of the birds.

Liked by 1 person

Sheryl

May 21, 2016 at 12:13 am

• Hi Sheryl. Thanks! I am always humbled when I think we share our world with these lovely creatures … Or rather, they share their world with us!

May 21, 2016 at 6:59 am

2. I just had to use my new Audubon Birds app to listen to the call of your black-throated green warbler. 🙂 Very sweet. I don’t think I’ve ever seen or heard one in my neck of the woods. Love your drawings, especially the one with the dash of yellow.

By the way, your beautiful book arrived this morning. Looking forward to curling up to it with a cup of tea tonight…

Liked by 1 person

May 20, 2016 at 9:39 am

• Hi Barbara. Thanks! I use the Dendroica site (NatureInstruct.org) but any Audubon products are great. Thanks for buying my book. I hope you enjoy it. I think people will see a little of themselves in many of the poems. Enjoy the read! Jane

May 20, 2016 at 9:52 am

3. We don’t see (or hear) many warblers where we are. The Rose-breasted Grosbeaks are back at the feeder though.

Liked by 1 person

rogermoorepoet

May 20, 2016 at 8:25 am

• I have great fun every spring trying to learn the songs/names of every bird I hear. There are a lot of birds in our woods. I will look up the call of the grosbeak as I know a neighbour has them in her feeder. Jane

May 20, 2016 at 9:07 am

• Just listened to a Rose-breasted grosbeak on Dendroica and we do have it here. It sounds like a ‘Robin who has had music lessons’ and I find it hard to differentiate! I’ll listen more carefully!

May 20, 2016 at 9:11 am