trees and more trees (day 3)

Once I was asked to conduct a bus tour of southern New Brunswick for some visiting city administrators.  I prepared well for the tour and had lots to show and tell them.  I got a laugh for beginning my tour with: ” There’s a tree and there’s a tree and there’s a tree…. ”  All joking aside, New Brunswick has a lot of trees.  A drive almost anywhere means driving through many kilometers of forest or woods.

8-3

map showing distance travelled (map from Google Earth)

8-3   January 7, 2014   30 minutes  3.0 km (south of McLeods to McLeods)

On the third day of my virtual cycling trip in northern New Brunswick, I took a few backroads and, you guessed it – saw lots of trees.  Well I love trees, so that may be one reason New Brunswick, in my opinion, is a great place to call home.

For the most part, we have a mixed wood composition to our forests – both hardwood and softwood.  One thing I’ve noticed in painting my first watercolours of New Brunswick is the dark blue tinge to hills on the horizon.  I think this is due to the large number of conifers (White, Black and Red Spruce, Balsam Fir and White Pine, among other species).

January 8, 2014  'Route 280 near Dundee'   Jane Tims

January 8, 2014 ‘Route 280 near Dundee’ Jane Tims

Painting trees is a challenge for me.  My biggest problem is ‘green’ … I use Sap Green and Oxide of Chromium, and mix these with blue and yellow, but I can never seen to capture the emeralds of nature!

Copyright  2014  Jane Tims

1. Another beautiful painting, Jane. I noticed all the trees during our visit to New Brunswick, and it was one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much. Fundy National Park was a great place to get to know some of the N.B. trees. 🙂

January 14, 2014 at 5:29 pm

• Hi. I’ve spent lots of time in Fundy Park. The trails are great and there is lots to see (small waterfalls, etc.). Thanks for commenting on my painting. Jane

January 14, 2014 at 9:27 pm

2. Beautiful watercolour.

January 11, 2014 at 9:50 am

• Hi Carol. Not many green trees to see here today. An icy day, good day to stay inside and dream of summer trees! jane

January 11, 2014 at 8:29 pm

• Hi Carol. Thanks! Lovely weather, eh? Jane

January 14, 2014 at 3:58 pm

3. We have a dark blue tinge to our Eucalyptus forests – I always thought it was because they give off oil from their leaves. Great to know there’s still plenty of trees out there!

Top Of The Slush Pile

January 10, 2014 at 4:18 pm

• Hi Gemma. We have had a lot of controversy over clear-cutting over the years. Certainly a lot of our old-growth forest is gone, but we have conservation programs in place to protect some. Jane

January 11, 2014 at 8:26 pm

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )