at the bird feeder #7 – Pine Siskin

After our heavy snow last week, the birds were all looking for perches and easy feeding.  A few Chickadees and Pine Siskins were at the feeders early.  Pine Siskins  (Carduelis pinus) are fidgety little birds, staying at the feeder to get their fill, but ever vigilant and looking over their shoulders.  They are heavily striped, sometimes with yellow bars on their wing feathers. They also have sharp beaks.

Because the Pine Siskins are striped, I confused them at first with female Purple Finches.  The female Purple Finch is also striped, but is a slightly bigger, chunkier bird.  Its beak is large and wedge-shaped, and it has no yellow coloration.

Pine Siskin at the feeder

female Purple Finch - wedge-shaped beak and stripes around eye (a male Purple Finch at left)

two Pine Siskins at feeder - sharp beaks and yellow wing bars

©  Jane Tims 2012

March 9, 2012 at 6:54 am

1. Handsome birds who look like they appreciate the feeder 🙂

March 12, 2012 at 5:25 pm

• Hi. Today our Red Squirrel is inside the Squirrel-proof Feeder. He has eaten so much he can’t get out the same way he got in! Just like Winnie the Pooh. Jane

March 12, 2012 at 6:16 pm

2. What a wonderful drawing, Jane! We don’t have a bird feeder this year–for the first time in 30 years–so am missing seeing some of these birds up close. Still throw handfuls of seed on the ground, but the only birds around thus far are chickadee-dee-dees.

Kathy

March 11, 2012 at 4:39 pm

• Hi. We have lots of birds but some species are missing this year… I only had Redpolls in late November, no Blue Jays, and no Juncos. The nice thing about feeding birds is … lots of neighbors also feed them. So if you do stop for a year, the birds don’t starve, and they will discover your feeders eventually. Jane

March 11, 2012 at 8:52 pm

3. Delightful is exactly the word. I look forward to your nuthatch! 🙂

Robby Robin's Journey

March 10, 2012 at 10:50 pm

• Hi. I drew a nuthatch on January 7, 2012, for the post “At the bird feeder # 2”. However, they are so cute, I will do a few more. They are very different in shape from other birds, short and broad in the shoulders. I’ll be trying a drawing of a robin too. Jane

March 11, 2012 at 8:47 am

4. The pine siskin and the purple finch do look remarkably alike. Your drawing is delightful, as always!

(This morning I sliced an orange and hung the slices up to dry – I hope they will come out looking as pretty as yours did!)

March 9, 2012 at 10:36 am

• Hi Barbara. When I dried the orange slices, I laid them flat on paper bags to keep their shape and absorb the water. I also flipped them every time I walked by. I hope they turn out well for you!!! Jane

March 10, 2012 at 7:48 am

• Thanks for the clarification, Jane! I guess I’ll leave these hanging and do another batch flat on paper bags – will see how differently they turn out…

March 10, 2012 at 12:13 pm

5. Jane, I sometimes confuse Siskin’s with female Red Polls. They are the same size and are striped and in poor light you can’t always see the scarlet red on the head of the Red Poll. It all serves to make birding so very interesting!
    Jim

Jim

March 9, 2012 at 10:30 am

• Hi Jim. Yes, I know what you mean. The Red Polls have been rare this winter. I wonder if their numbers are down. Jane

March 10, 2012 at 7:46 am