strategies for the winter

Although it is only late November, I find myself shuddering at the approach of winter.  Perhaps it is the arthritis in my bones.  Perhaps the need for a quilt as soon as the thermometer registers less than zero.  Perhaps the climbing out of bed while the sun is still asleep.

So, never daunted, I am making plans.  These are my strategies for coping with the coming winter:

1. hover over a cup of tea each morning – my current favorite is Scottish Breakfast, a gift from my niece.

'tea-berry tea'

2. read, read, read – I read so much I usually feel guilty … but not this winter – I am going to read as much as I can – my current favorites are Elly Griffiths, Ann Cleeves and Ann Granger, all mystery/crime novels from the UK.  Just to keep with the spirit of the season, I am also re-reading Edwin Way Teale’s Wandering Through Winter (1965), the Pulitzer-winning book describing his four month, 20,000 mile winter journey through the USA.

3. watch the birds – I am determined to see a Cardinal at our feeders but, really, anyone will do … Chickadee-dee-dee!

one of the usual visitors to our feeder ... the Black-capped Chickadee

one of the usual visitors to our feeder … the Black-capped Chickadee

4. bundle up really well and go for a walk each day – I have had my wool coat dry-cleaned and I have cleaned out an old leather suitcase to store our mittens and scarves in easy reach.

20141123-131014.jpg

5. Make a couple of small quilts. Working at a quilt is one of the warmest activities I know.

6. Knit a few pairs of socks, another warm activity. I am a good knitter … I can knit anything. Once, the top to my strawberry cookie jar broke and I knit a new top for it!

20141123-140046.jpg

7. Enjoy sitting in front of a fire. This includes my small electric fireplace, our big woodstove, and, outside, our stone fire pit.

Do you have any strategies for making winter the best season of the year?

Copyright  2014   Jane Tims

November 24, 2014 at 7:30 am

1. I like your plans for winter. They sound warm and comforting. Teas, soups, and stews are part of my winter strategy, warming me up from the inside. I just dragged out my winter wardrobe. I still enjoy winter for the most part (except for days like today when it’s cold and rainy because I find the damp harder to deal with than just the cold), and look forward to some invigorating walks in the cold and (I hope) snow. That said, this not-quite-as-new-anymore house of ours does not heat up well, or stay heated, and I do find the cold in the evenings difficult (it’s hard to read when I’m shivering because the words on the page get shaken around…lol!). I have learned to layer my clothing, and I have several pairs of very thick, spa socks. When I keep my feet warm, the rest of me usually stays warm, too. The cats are heat-seekers and having one sit in my lap is almost as good as a quilt. 🙂

November 26, 2014 at 1:52 pm

• Hi Robin. Yes, Zoe in my lap is another warm pastime! We bought digital thermostats for the rooms in our house and that has helped to keep us warmer and lowered our heating bill. Don’t quit reading just because those words are wiggling!!!! 🙂

November 29, 2014 at 7:04 am

2. I like your plan for the winter. Since I don’t currently have a winter plan, I might have to adopt yours. 🙂

Sheryl

November 25, 2014 at 11:44 pm

3. you are going to have a great winter…

kiwiskan

November 24, 2014 at 10:21 pm

4. Sounds like wonderful plans, and your drawings are beautiful! 🙂
    I like to have twinkling lights strung on the fireplace mantel. Right now I have fall leaves with orange lights, soon to be replaced with holly leaves and white lights. We’ve also gotten to where we put our Christmas tree up sooner and leave it up later, just because the lights brighten up the mood of the house. That, and a nice cup of warm cocoa occasionally makes winter more enjoyable for us.

Rebecca

November 24, 2014 at 11:41 am

• Hi Rebecca. Christmas is very important to me and it lights the whole of my December. Your dressing of the mantel with lights inspires me to dig out some of our twinkle lights! Jane

November 24, 2014 at 8:37 pm

5. Hi Jane, Hope your winter is beautiful. Blessings, Ellen

Ellen Grace Olinger

November 24, 2014 at 9:47 am

• Hi Ellen. Thanks. You have such a positive attitude towards every moment of life, I can learn from you! Jane

November 24, 2014 at 8:34 pm