I’m from Canada …

As I have been building my family tree, I am discovering how many ‘places’ my ancestors have called home.

img056

my grandmother and her brother and four of her sisters appear in this photo at a school in Nova Scotia in the early 1900s

The people I would call grandfather or grandmother (with greats added) include people who came to Canada or to the United States from England, Scotland, France, and Germany.  Some of their parents came originally from the Netherlands.

• John Winslow (b. 1597)  Droltwich, Worcestershore, England (1620)
  • Mary Chilton (b. 1607)  St. Peter, Sandwich, Kent, England  (Mayflower 1620)
  • Patrick McMullen  (b. 1704)  Scotland
  • Peter LeValley (b. 1675)  France
  • William Spavold  (b. 1810)  England (Trafalgar 1817)
  • Eliza Greenfield (b. 1790)  England (Trafalgar 1817)
  • Stephen Hopkins  (b. 1581) Upper Clatford, Hampshire, England (Mayflower 1620)
  • Elizabeth Fisher (b.  unknown)  England (Mayflower 1620)
  • Francis Cook (b. 1583)  Gides Hall, Essex, England (Mayflower 1620)
  • Hester Mahieu (b. 1585)  Canterbury, Kent, England (1623)
  • William Latham (b. 1608)  Chorley, Lancashire, England (Mayflower 1620)
  • Conrad Hawk (Sr.)  (b. 1744)  Germany
  • Conrad Kresge (b. 1730)  Amberg-Sulzbach, Bayern, Germany
  • Johan Ulrick Kohl  (b. 1702)  Pallatine, Germany
  • Solmey Cooll  (b. 1702)  Germany
  • Johann Nicholas Borger (b. 1720)  Nassig, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
  • John Clark (b. 1793) Straiton, Ayrshire, Scotland
  • Jane Cooper (b. 1799)  Greenock, Scotland
  • Margaret Miller (b. 1798)  Hoddam, Dumfriesshire, Scotland
  • William Aitcheson (b. 1794)  Annan, Dumfriesshire, Scotland (1832)
  •  — Wayborne (b. 1836) Rockbeare, Devon, England
  • John Johnson (b. 1780)  England

To make me, how many different people from so many different places had to get together!!!  As my aunt used to say, just being here, we have already won the greatest lottery of all …

One of my next genealogy / virtual cycling project will be to track down when they came to Canada or the United States.  Immigration records and passenger lists of ships will help me in this endeavor.

Copyright  2014   Jane Tims

May 19, 2014 at 2:57 pm

1. Dear Jane,
    I see you have listed one of your great-great-great-whatevers as coming over on the Mayflower. Check it out, kid; there was a Sampson on that little ship as well! That can only mean … … WE’RE COUSINS!!

neil

May 20, 2014 at 9:18 pm

• Hi. I am reading Saints and Strangers now which has a list of the 102 people who crossed in 1620. If you are there, I’ll let you know!!! (Wait, aren’t you in New Brunswick?) Finding out you are a cousin would be fine. Jane

May 21, 2014 at 8:03 pm

2. It is interesting dealing with this subject from a couple of practical perspectives. First I have joined the board of a First Nations project in Vancouver. Even they may have been immigrants as they crossed in from the Russia/Alaska bridge. There is also the issue in the US of “illegal immigrants” … I guess my point is we are really all immigrants and should get along better. It really does not matter from whence you came… the issue is … are we all building a better tomorrow by borrowing the best parts of various cultures and discarding those parts that hold us back as a people. I have learned, even in a short time so much from the First Nations and the Hispanic cultures. We “white” people could learn so much from them.. just as we learned from our German, Scottish, English, Italian, Irish and other cultures.

Stan Sapvold

May 19, 2014 at 6:48 pm

• Hi Lee. You are so right! In my other projects, as you know, I am working at using wild plants for food and dyeing. I took a course offered by our Maliseet St. Mary’s First Nation here in Fredericton. They had lots of knowledge to share but they were also appalled at how much they had lost. Looking at our own family, I am realising how many people working together (genealogy interests) can uncover information thought lost. The advances in digital in the ten year interval between when I did this family work before and now are astonishing. All the Census records transcribed for example. Take care. Jane

May 20, 2014 at 10:21 am

• What great news about your ancestors coming on the brig Trafalgar 1817. We (the Shorts) are planning a 200th commemoration of that event on Brier Island. Would love to have you join us, but if you can’t, can you supply is with the records (diary?) of your ancestors. We have a diary along with lots of other good information, but always looking for more..

Liked by 1 person

Al Short

July 4, 2017 at 6:35 pm

• Hi. When is your celebration?

July 4, 2017 at 9:05 pm

• Hi again. If you go to my blog http://www.janetims.com and search on Briar Island, you will find a couple of posts about what I know of the wreck of the Trafalger. Let me know what you think! Jane

July 4, 2017 at 9:11 pm