maple sap soda fountain

For the last two days, the maple sap has been running again.  The nights have been below freezing and the days are sunny and warm.  Yesterday, we had 12 liters of sap from our 10 trees.   The day before, we collected about 5 liters.

Each tree has its own rhythm of drips.  Our best producer today drips at a rate of about 9 drops every 5 seconds, or 108 drops per minute.

This evening, I had my ‘drink the sap from the tree’ experience.  I took a small glass and caught the drips for a couple of ounces of the sweetest water ever.  To me, the sap of each tree has its own taste.  The sap from the big maple tree by our front door tastes a lot like cream soda without the fizz!

The maple sap is crystal clear, although it will turn dark amber (No. 2 Amber, according to our grading in Canada) once we boil it down to syrup.

droplet

one drop of maple sap

from the spile

a seep from slate

at the waterfall edge

in rain, a tear

from the margin of a leaf

a pause in the envelope

between rough bark and aluminum

© Jane Tims 2012

March 30, 2012 at 7:07 am

1. I’ve never done this, but love reading about it! Thanks Jane!

April 4, 2012 at 9:20 pm

• Hi Tracy. You are welcome. We have been wondering if anyone bottles the raw sap for use as a beverage. Jane

April 5, 2012 at 6:56 am

2. Lovely. I can taste the sweetness just reading your blog.

April 1, 2012 at 10:09 pm

3. Jane,,,you got me going now,,,I gotta get to Dean to have me a glass of their sap straight from their tree to see if theirs tastes like cream soda. I love cream soda,,I haven’t had it since I was young. I’ll let you know. I love your site Jane,,it could not get any better. I also love what you are giving me,,you have me “wondering” and you have me “guessing” just what Jane will write about the next time. I have not been right yet. Ha.! Take Care and have a great weekend.!

patsi

March 30, 2012 at 2:17 pm

• Hi Patsi. Thanks! You’ll likely encounter a tree that tastes like cinnamon! It may be in my taste buds. I’m glad you have been enjoying my site! Jane

March 31, 2012 at 6:55 am

4. Fabulous Jane – I never knew this about maple trees.

dfb

March 30, 2012 at 12:10 pm

• Hi. I have heard of other people who drink the sap. I wonder if there is an entrepreneurial opportunity in bottling sap. Jane

March 31, 2012 at 6:53 am

5. Yummy and exciting! This is so different from what I can experience here in Southern California. Thank you for posting!

weedimageoftheday

March 30, 2012 at 12:03 pm

• Hi. It’s one thing I like about blogging… the ordinary for one person is extraordinary for another. Your weed images are like that… the most common plant in your area may be totally new to me. Jane

March 31, 2012 at 6:48 am

• Thank you Jane. I agree!

weedimageoftheday

April 1, 2012 at 1:40 am

6. I had no idea that the sap of each maple tree has its own taste!

March 30, 2012 at 11:15 am

• Hi. My brother-in-law says I am imagining this, but I can taste a different ‘note’ at each tree. I think it has to do with the amount of light the tree gets, where it is in its readiness to bloom, etc. Perhaps I’ll start maple sap tastings!! Jane

March 31, 2012 at 6:46 am

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )