competing with the squirrels #2

We watched our hazelnuts carefully every day until August 11, certain the squirrels would not get them ahead of us.

our hazelnuts, almost ready to pick

Then, as humans do, we went on a small vacation, and returned on August 14, only three days later.

As soon as I was out of the car, I went to have a look at my hazelnuts.

And not one remained.

no hazelnuts

The squirrels got the hazelnuts.

No poem can express my dismay.

Next year…

Warning:
1. never eat any plant if you are not absolutely certain of the identification;
2. never eat any plant if you have personal sensitivities, including allergies, to certain plants or their derivatives;
3. never eat any plant unless you have checked several sources to verify the edibility of the plant.

©  Jane Tims   2012

1. Maybe one day all those new hazelnut bushes will produce so many nuts each year that there will be more than enough for both the local squirrels and humans!

August 21, 2011 at 12:58 pm

2. Yikes! They were ravenous, apparently!

August 18, 2011 at 4:07 pm

• Hi. Actually I think the squirrels just bury the nuts all over the place, presumably for winter. Then they forget where they are. I know this because I have hazelnut bushes coming up all over the place! Thanks for visiting! Jane

August 18, 2011 at 9:20 pm

3. Well, that really sucks….I had a racoon “steal” all my red currants. I know “exactly” how you feel. -Denis

JD

August 18, 2011 at 2:23 pm

• We could call them the ‘bad squirrel bunch’! The members include squirrels, racoons, bunnies and deer. The real question is, whose hazelnuts (or currents) are they, really? Jane

August 18, 2011 at 9:22 pm

• The racoon didn’t pay for them now did he/she? So I guess they are mine….the racoon wouldn’t stand a chance in court. 🙂

JD

August 19, 2011 at 2:36 pm

• For one thing, he/she’d need to engage a bilingual lawyer who speaks both Raccoon and English. Jane

August 19, 2011 at 7:18 pm