a moment of beautiful – November leaves

the space: the November sky

the beautiful: oak leaves, not yet fallen

The oak is one of the last trees to give up its leaves in autumn.

I love the look of oak leaves against the sky.  Individually, their deeply lobed pattern is striking.  As a group, the leaves make a kind of randomly tatted lace.

These leaves are a frail, ineffective barrier to rain and snow, but to me, they are a statement of defiance against the coming winter.

my palm

and its splayed fingers

against the glass

defy the cold

demand the secret word

the way the oaks construct

tattered shelters against

November chill, cling to

their leaves, whisper

Copyright  Jane Tims  2012

November 12, 2012 at 7:34 am

1. Great picture and poem. I love the way the oak leaves cling to the trees for so long after the other leaves fall.

November 13, 2012 at 11:07 pm

• Hi Sheryl. Yes, it gives a bit of color to the landscape and reminds us that fall is not over yet…. Jane

November 14, 2012 at 7:03 am

2. I don’t share your appreciation for the oak leaves taking their last stand against winter; I always wished it were the maple leaves or the Virginia Creeper vine leaves that lasted longer. However … I love this poem. There’s something about the paucity of words, maybe. Each word seems equally important, each one has its own role to play.These recent poems really leave me thinking. Terrific.

Jane Fritz

November 13, 2012 at 5:06 pm

• Hi Jane. Thanks for the comment. Now that my project on ‘growing and gathering’ is over, I am going to spend my poem-writing time on random themes again. I’m glad to hear you think my word choices are good. Jane

November 14, 2012 at 7:02 am

3. Nice poem Jane. I’ve read it several times.

November 13, 2012 at 2:23 am

• Hi Rosie. I’m glad you like it. I am still not sure of the title. Jane

November 13, 2012 at 4:05 pm

4. I love the poem! It makes me want to press my hand against the glass. Thank you!

November 12, 2012 at 12:27 pm

• Hi! Great! Those plants are very inspiring, even when winter is almost here. Jane

November 13, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )