gathering eggs

When we visited my grandfather’s farm in the 1960s, boredom was never a problem.  Every day brought a new discovery or learning.  One of the best activities was to help in the gathering of eggs.

gathering eggs

first breath after rooster presses

crowbar under sun catches

dew in the three-angled strawberry leaves

and light pings sapphire,

red, amber, emerald to opening eyes

I see Dandy waiting

black and white counterpoint to rainbow

he greets me, ignores

the chickens scratching

along random lines, we trek

to the barn together

push the man-door, open the pen

Diane has promised a gather

of eggs, shows me how

to shoo the hen, part the straw,

roll the egg into my hand,

build the stack in the basket

set each in a three-angled

cradle of eggs

Dandy watches the rooster

red comb and wattles,

amber neck, iridescent tail

ignores white eggs and chickens

Previously published as ‘gathering eggs’, Canadian Stories 15 (84), April 2012

Copyright  Jane Tims  2012

November 5, 2012 at 7:26 am

1. Thanks for the memories. The poem and the drawing wonderfully describe gathering eggs.

November 6, 2012 at 1:03 am

2. This is wonderful! I also love the words “rooster presses crowbar under the sun”. Although I’ve never gathered eggs, I could feel the excitement, the wet grass, the dew, and I could hear the faithful companionable panting of Dandy….I do hope Dandy is a dog, yes?

November 5, 2012 at 10:43 am

• Hi. Yes, Dandy is a dog. He was always faithful company on our various romps. A black and white collie. I’ll post a drawing of him sometime. Thanks for the comment… it is nice to know what resonates with readers! Jane

November 5, 2012 at 7:21 pm

3. I love the memories your posts and poems conjure from my childhood. I remember doing this and helping to candle the eggs before my grandfather took them to market on Fridays. I like the colours of the sunrise and the colours of the rooster, the echoes there. The crowbar raising the sun…great images.

November 5, 2012 at 7:36 am

• Hi Carol. Thanks for the specific feedback. This is one of the poems submitted to a publisher as part of a book proposal. I won’t hear back for a few months, but I can always hope! Jane

November 5, 2012 at 8:28 am

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )