keeping watch for dragons #2 – house dragon

You have to keep your eyes open to see what humans down the ages have seen.  The trick is to be awake to the metaphor.  And to cheerfully allow confusion of reality and myth.

Although I have seen many dragonflies, I have never seen a dragon.  Or have I …?

House Dragon

a dragon disguises

herself as our house

icicles drool from her eaves

smoke from her chimney

her scales age grey

and her nostrils

breath us

in

©  Jane Tims 1998

detail of 'stone marking property' Copyright Jane Tims 2012

March 21, 2012 at 6:44 am

1. I love this, Jane. It’s beautiful. And I especially love the idea of ” cheerfully allow confusion of reality and myth.” 🙂

March 25, 2012 at 6:50 pm

2. Love it! I love how you’ve found uncommon images in common subjects. That;s what I like to do with weeds! The imagination is a powerful source. Kudos.

weedimageoftheday

March 23, 2012 at 11:01 pm

• Hi. Thanks! I have been inspired by plants since I first saw a time-lapse film of their movements through the day. I know there is more to ‘see’ than our eyes can register! Jane

March 24, 2012 at 7:26 am

3. Hmmm… Will be looking at “houses” a little more carefully from now on! I call tractor-trailer trucks dinosaurs because they are so huge and terrifying to me when I’m driving…

March 21, 2012 at 10:51 am

• Hi. Trucks and trains, even some cars, will now join my possible dragon subjects! Jane

March 22, 2012 at 7:34 am

4. I like the line, ” cheerfully allow confusion of reality and myth.” I love the way you’ve reimagined your home as a dragon. The stone that marks your property, does it really have a dragon carved into it?

March 21, 2012 at 8:12 am

• Hi Carol. The drawing is part of a larger drawing about runestones in Scandanavia. This particular drawing illustrates a poem I did on a property marker in Sweden. Have a look at the post under the category ‘carvings in stone’ for October 8, 2011. Thanks for liking my post! Jane

March 22, 2012 at 7:33 am

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w